Monday, January 26, 2009

student teaching, spring semester craziness.

I LOVE my 5th grade class!! I have twenty-three of the most unique students ever. There is a huge gap academically. We have a group of very intelligent students who are in the gifted program and love reading gigantic books (that I probably wouldn't even read, but I won't admit that to them haha), and there's a group of students who struggle and struggle.. many who are reading "Junie B. Jones" books. My first graders & second graders in the past enjoyed her books, so that leaves me concerned; however...

our teacher is amazing with them! They are excited about learning.. she has amazing classroom management, and we have BIG plans for our semester as far as me teaching math, science, & language. :) and of course, my ten-day lesson plan on who knows what? haha. I have two months to plan it so I'm sure I'll come up with something.

so.. I've been really debating with myself over where to live and work next semester. Jackson? Tupelo? Saltillo? Amory? and I really have no idea at this point. God is such a great God, and His plan for me will be revealed in proper timing, His timing, which is so much greater than my timing. I'm learning a lot about trust this semester. I started panicing myself out the week before student teaching began and met with my absolute fave professor at Ole Miss.. she taught my math strategies class last semester. She really encouraged me and made me realize that while others may disagree with some of the things I believe about teaching, I should always remember that the children come first. However I teach may not be the same as the teachers around me, but as long as I'm considering my students' needs and how they learn best as I plan lessons, we will all excel. That really makes a lot of sense to me because I know I was able to learn from teachers who taught a variety of different ways. She also encouraged me about where to teach. She helped me realize that it really seems like God is doing His work through me now, and I need to be patient because today, this day, I don't have to make a decision.

... and in a lot of ways, I think this is the first time I've ever had to really rely on trusting God with His plan. I really think every decision I've made in the past has been hasty and self-centered. This time, I'm really trying to seek Him and let life fall into place as He has planned.

I am so thankful for Calvary. My church is going through a lot of changes; we have new staff in nearly every area of the ministries, and our church as a whole is going through seasons of renewel. Everything seems so fresh & positive now, and I feel like this year, as Bro. David leads us biblically and with his focus on Christ, we are going to all be renewed in Him. Sunday, I just could not get over how exciting this is for my church. While I feel like Christ is and has been growing in me, I know that there are areas of my life that do need polishing ... or possibly need to be completely killed away and renewed, but how amazing is it that we all get opportunities to experience Christ in our lives, see Christ in those we worship and fellowship with, and teach others about Him through all of the different areas of our lives that are displayed to others. Oh, I'm excited, that's for sure! :)

No comments: